Features and Benefits
Personalize learning with MyProgrammingLab™
MyProgrammingLab is an online learning system designed to engage students and improve results. MyProgrammingLab consists of a set of programming exercises correlated to the programming concepts in this book. Through practice exercises and immediate, personalized feedback, MyProgrammingLab improves the programming competence of beginning students who often struggle with the basic concepts of programming languages.
- Student Resources include Check point questions (organized by sections for each chapter), Solutions to even-numbered programming exercises, Source code for the examples in the book, Interactive quiz (organized by sections for each chapter), Java IDE and programming resources, Debugging tips, Errata, plus VideoNotes, and Algorithm Animations.
- Interactive Practice providesfirst-hand programming experience in an interactive online environment.
- Error Messages for Incorrect Answers give studentsimmediate personalized feedback. The error messages include both the feedback from the compiler and plain English interpretations of likely causes for the incorrect answer.
- Step-by-step VideoNote Tutorials enhance the programming concepts presented in your Pearson® textbook by allowing students to view the entire problem-solving process outside of the classroom–when they need help the most.
- Pearson eText gives students access to their textbook anytime, anywhere. In addition to note taking, highlighting, and bookmarking, the Pearson eText offers interactive and sharing features. Rich media options let students watch lecture and example videos as they read or do their homework. Instructors can share their comments or highlights, and students can add their own, creating a tight community of learners in your class.
- The Pearson eText companion app allows existing subscribers to access their titles on an iPad or Android tablet for either online or offline viewing.
- Dynamic grading and assessment provide auto-grading of student assignments, saving you time and offering students immediate learning opportunities:
- A dynamic roster tracks their performance and maintains a record of submissions.
- The color-coded gradebook gives you a quick glance of your classes' progress. Easily drill down to receive information on a single student's performance or a specific problem. Gradebook results can be exported to Excel to use with your LMS.
About the Book
- Pedagogical features assess learning and help students get more out of the material
- Objectives at the beginning of each chapter list what students should learn from the chapter.
- Introductions open discussion with representative problems to give the reader an overview of what to expect from each chapter.
- Key Points highlight important concepts covered in each section.
- Check Points provide review questions to help students track their progress as they read through each chapter and evaluate their learning.
- Problems and Case Studies, carefully chosen and presented in an easy-to-follow style, teach problem solving and programming concepts. The text uses stimulating examples to demonstrate important ideas.
- Chapter Summaries review important subjects that students should understand and remember, helping to reinforce key concepts from each chapter.
- Programming Exercises, grouped by section, provide students with opportunities to apply the new skills they have learned on their own. The level of difficulty is rated as easy (no asterisk), moderate (*), hard (**), or challenging (***). Programming depends on practice, and the book provides a great many exercises. Additionally, more than 50 programming exercises with solutions are provided to the instructors on the Companion Website.
- Notes, Tips, Cautions, and Design Guides are inserted throughout the text to offer valuable advice and insight on important aspects of program development.
- Note provides additional information on the subject and reinforces important concepts.
- Tip teaches good programming style and practice.
- Caution helps students steer away from the pitfalls of programming errors.
- Design Guide provides guidelines for designing programs.