The Critical Foundations of Algebra program helps educators in grades 4-8, math coaches, and district coordinators use student-centered teaching practices to improve students’ foundational understanding of rational number concepts. Based on the best-selling Van de Walle Professional Mathematics Series, this algebra readiness program focuses on rational number sense and proportional reasoning:
- Fractions, decimals, and percents
- Ratio as a comparison by division
- Constant rates, constant multiples
- Proportional relationships and linearity
OUTCOMES: By the end of the program, participants will be able to:
- Merge instruction in algebra with the instruction of concepts of numbers and operations, understanding how learning in one domain supports learning in the other.
- Support simultaneous development of conceptual understanding and problem-solving skills with the intentional use of purposeful student struggle, flexible grouping, and ongoing assessments.
- Make mathematical tasks worthwhile and engaging for all students.
- Identify common misconceptions as opportunities for learning.
Math Directors and Coordinators, Math Coaches, 4–8 Math Educators
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 30
Product Name: Critical Foundations of Algebra - Grades 4-8
Invoice Title: CRITICAL ALGERA FNDTN -8 AS DELIVERED
† - Items can only be purchased with PO or school credit card.