Examine key algebraic concepts from a mathematical point of view. Participants address the content demand necessary to provide students with the opportunity to demonstrate the eight Mathematical Practices of the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (CCSSM) in algebra. With a focus on differentiated and active engagement strategies, participants learn how they can successfully pave the way for increased student achievement in algebra by translating the following pedagogical content knowledge into classroom practice:
• Essential Understandings of Algebra
• Algebra and the Standards for Mathematical Practice
By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
• Identify ways to support simultaneous development of the mathematical skills and expectations by focusing on the five strands of student proficiency:
– Adaptive Reasoning – Strategic Competence
– Procedural Fluency – Conceptual Understanding
– Productive Disposition
• Connect instructional strategies for teaching algebra to the Standards for Mathematical Practice.
• Identify instructional skills and strategies that facilitate understanding of a student’s capacity for using variables, doing and undoing, building rules to represent functions, and abstracting from computation.
• Outline teaching strategies that make mathematical relationships explicit in an intentional and public way.
6 –12 Educators
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 30
NUMBER OF DAYS: 2