Features and Benefits
A unique active learning approach promotes deep and lasting conceptual understanding of physics and the scientific process
- UPDATED! Observational Experiment Tables and Testing Experiment Tables encourage students to become accountable for learning physics as they make observations, analyze data, identify patterns, test hypotheses, and predict outcomes. Redesigned for clarity in the 2nd Edition, these tables encourage students to explore science through active discovery and critical thinking, constructing robust conceptual understanding.
- EXPANDED! Experiment videos and photos created by the authors enhance the active learning approach. Approximately 150 photos and 40 videos have been added to the textbook, as well as embedded in the Pearson eText, and scores more in the Active Learning Guide (ALG).
A wealth of practical and consistent guidance, examples, and opportunities for practice help develop confidence and higher-level reasoning skills
- EXPANDED and NEW! Worked Examples, Conceptual Exercises, and Quantitative Exercises build higher-level scientific skills such as analysis, synthesis, evaluation, and experimental design. New Worked Examples and End-of-chapter problems focus on skills such as data analysis, evaluation, and argumentation.
- End-of-chapter problem types and 15% new questions and problems include multiple choice with multiple correct answers, find-a-pattern in data presented in a video or table, ranking tasks, evaluate statements/claims/explanations/measuring procedures, evaluate solutions, design a device or procedure that meets given criteria, and linearization problems. End-of-chapter problems have undergone careful analysis using Mastering® Physics usage data to provide fine-tuned difficulty ratings to produce a more varied, useful, and robust set of End-of-chapter problems.
A flexible learning system adapts to any method of instruction.
- Ready-to-Go Teaching Modules created for and by instructors model effective teaching strategies. The modules incorporate the best that the text, Mastering Physics, and Learning Catalytics have to offer and guide instructors through using these resources in the most effective way. The modules can be accessed through the Instructor Resources area of Mastering Physics and offer corresponding, customizable pre-built assignments.
- REVISED! The Active Learning Guide aligns with the textbook’s chapters and supplements the knowledge-building approach of the textbook with activities that provide opportunities for further observation, testing, sketching, and analysis as well as collaboration, scientific reasoning, and argumentation. The Active Learning Guide is now better integrated with the text and can be used in class for individual or group work or assigned as homework. Now available via download in the Mastering Instructor Resource Center and customizable in print form via Savvas Collections.
Pedagogically-driven design and content changes enhance ease-of-use for students and instructors alike
- NEW, REVISED, and EXPANDED! Topics provide instructors greater choice and include capacitors, AC circuits, LEDs, friction, 2D collisions, energy, bar charts for rotational momentum and nuclear energy, ideal-gas processes, thermodynamic engines, semiconductors, velocity selectors, spacetime diagrams in Special Relativity.
- Integration of vector arithmetic into early chapters helps students develop vector-related skills in the context of learning physics.
- Earlier placement of waves and oscillations allows instructors to teach these topics with mechanics if preferred. Coverage with optics is also possible.
- A fresh and modern design provides a more transparent hierarchy of features and navigation structure, as well as an engaging chapter opener page and streamlined chapter summary. The result is a more user-friendly resource, both for learning and reference.
- EXPANDED! Introductory chapter, now Chapter 1, gives students a more detailed explanation of “How to use this book” to ensure they get the most out of the chapter features, use them actively, and learn how to think critically.
- REVISED! Integration of applications throughout each chapter, rather than grouped in the Putting It All Together sections of the 1st Edition, optimizes student engagement and consolidates the explore-and-apply approach.
- REVISED! Streamlined text, layout, and figures throughout the book enhance the focus on central themes and topics and eliminate extraneous detail, resulting in over 150 fewer pages than the 1st Edition and allowing students to study more efficiently.