Features and Benefits
Elementary Statistics: Picturing the World
Reach every student by pairing this text with MyMathLab® for School
MyMathLab for School is the teaching and learning platform that empowers you to reach every student. By combining trusted author content with digital tools and a flexible platform, MyMathLab for School personalizes the learning experience and improves results for each student. With MyMathLab for School and StatCrunch®, an integrated web-based statistical software program, students learn the skills they need to interact with data in the real world.
About the Book
Features and pedagogy that support guided student learning
- NEW AND REVISED! Exercises – Over 40% of the more than 2,300 exercises are new or revised.
- NEW! Tech Tips – Technology tips now appear in most sections. These tips show how to use Minitab, Excel, the TI-84 Plus, and StatCrunch to solve a problem.
- A variety of review and assessment features conclude each chapter, including a Chapter Summary, Review Exercises, Quiz, and Test. Students also have access to four Cumulative Reviews throughout the text.
- Page Layout – Statistics instruction is more accessible when it is carefully formatted on each page with a consistent, open layout. This text is the first college-level statistics book to be written so that, when possible, its features are not split from one page to the next, resulting in a cleaner and clearer presentation.
Real-life examples, exercises, and projects that help students picture the world using statistics
- NEW AND REVISED! About 60% of the chapter features and examples are new or revised to maintain currency and student engagement. These include:
- Chapter Case Studies — Each chapter has a Case Study featuring actual data from a real-world context and questions that illustrate the important concepts of the chapter.
- Real Statistics - Real Decisions: Putting It All Together – This feature encourages students to think critically and make informed decisions about real-world data. Exercises guide students from interpretation to drawing of conclusions.
- Chapter Technology Projects – Each chapter has a Technology project using Minitab, Excel, and the TI-84 Plus that gives students insight into how technology is used to handle large data sets or real-life questions.
- The variety of real-life applications are representative of the majors of students taking introductory statistics courses. Applications are both authentic and accessible, so that statistics comes alive and appears relevant to students. View the text’s Index of Applications for a complete list.
Check out the preface for a complete list of features and what's new in this edition.
Reach every student with MyMathLab for School
- Deliver trusted content: You deserve teaching materials that meet your own high standards for your course. That’s why we partner with highly respected authors to develop interactive content and course-specific resources that you can trust—and that keep your students engaged.
- StatCrunch is a powerful web-based statistical software that allows users to perform complex analyses, share data sets, and generate compelling reports of their data. The vibrant online community offers tens of thousands of shared data sets for students to analyze, in addition to all of the data sets in the text or online homework. StatCrunch is integrated directly into MyMathLab for School.
- NEW! StatCrunch Question Library: This library of questions provides opportunities for students to analyze and interpret data sets in StatCrunch. Instructors can assign individual questions from the library by topic or they can assign questions from the same data set as a longer assignment that spans multiple learning objectives.
- Empower each learner: Each student learns at a different pace. Personalized learning pinpoints the precise areas where each student needs practice, giving all students the support they need—when and where they need it—to be successful.
- Learning Catalytics: Now included in all MyMathLab for School courses, this student response tool uses students’ smartphones, tablets, or laptops to engage them in more interactive tasks and thinking during lecture. Learning Catalytics™ fosters student engagement and peer-to-peer learning with real-time analytics. Access pre-built exercises created specifically for statistics.
- Teach your course your way: Your course is unique. So whether you’d like to build your own assignments, teach multiple sections, or set prerequisites, MyMathLab for School gives you the flexibility to easily create your course to fit your needs.
- NEW! An Integrated Review version of the MyMathLab for School course provides pre-made, assignable skill-review quizzes and personalized homework assignments that are integrated throughout the regular statistics course content. It can be used in co-requisite courses, or simply to help students who enter Introductory Statistics without a full understanding of prerequisite skills and concepts.
- Getting Ready for Statistics Questions: This question library contains more than 450 exercises that cover the relevant review topics for a given section. These can be made available to students for extra practice or assigned as a prerequisite to other assignments.
- Improve student results: When you teach with MyMathLab for School, student performance often improves. That’s why instructors have chosen MyMathLab for School for over 15 years, touching the lives of over 50 million students.