Features and Benefits
Interesting and relevant applications engage students with a focus on the importance of math in their future careers
- Revised! An even stronger emphasis on career applications includes additional When Will I Ever Use This? feature boxes, along with many new or modified examples and exercises tied to career applications.
- Revised! Exercise sets are updated, with over 1000 new or modified exercises. All exercise sets now begin with Concept Check questions to confirm that students truly understand concepts before diving right into homework.
- Updated! Real data in the form of graphs, charts, and tables offers up-to-date information from magazines, newspapers, and the Internet to create real applications that are relevant and meaningful.
Student-driven features provide the tools they need to master skills and concepts
- New! Concept Check questions now begin each exercise set to confirm students’ understanding of concepts before they dive right into homework.
- New! A Workbook including Investigations and Integrated Review Worksheets accompanies the text, offering:
- Worksheets for every objective in the text that include key terms, summaries, guided practice and practice problems
- Investigations students can do in or out of class, on their own or in a group
- Worksheets including key terms, summaries, guided practice and practice problems covering the Integrated Review content in the MyMathLab for School course.
- Numerous, carefully written examples illustrate concepts and skills, giving students step-by-step directions for solving similar problems. Annotations clarify these examples and prepare students for the exercises that follow.
- Problem-Solving Strategies found in specific sections relate the discussion of problem-solving strategies to techniques that have been presented earlier.
- For Further Thought entries encourage students to share their reasoning processes among themselves to gain a deeper understanding of key mathematical concepts.
Also available with MyMathLab® for School
MyMathLab for School is the teaching and learning platform that empowers you to reach everystudent. By combining trusted author content with digital tools and a flexible platform, MyMathLab for School personalizes the learning experience and improves results for each student.
Reach every student with MyMathLab for School
Teach your course your way
- Enhanced! MyMathLab for School Integrated Review content uses newly developed worksheets including key terms, summaries, notes, guided problems, and practice problems.
Empower each learner
- Personalized learning
- Each student learns at a different pace. Personalized learning pinpoints the precise areas where each student needs to practice, giving all students the support they need — when and where they need it — to be successful.
- New! Developed by the author, group review modules in Learning Catalytics Modules complement each chapter’s review test for use as classroom review. Using this student engagement, assessment, and classroom intelligence system gives instructors real-time feedback on student learning before the test. Instructions on how to use the Learning Catalytics Chapter Test modules are provided in the MyMathLab for School course.
- New! Mindset materials that help students develop a growth mindset are now included in the MyMathLab for School course.
Deliver trusted content
- Develop conceptual understanding with course-specific resources and interactive features
- New! Section lecture videos cover the section objectives with a modern, clear, and engaging approach. The videos incorporate the use of animations, applets, and StatCrunch® to demonstrate concepts, making use of resources available to students in the MyMathLab for School course.
- New! The Animations Library will help students explore concepts more deeply, encouraging them to visualize and interact with concepts such as Venn diagrams, probability, logic, debt, graph theory, geometry, statistics, and more. An icon in the text indicates where the animations can aid in understanding.
- Interactive Concept Check videos with assignable MyMathLab for School questions walk students through a concept and then ask them to answer a question within the video. If students answer correctly, the concept is summarized. If a student selects one of the two incorrect answers, the video continues focusing on why students probably selected that answer and works to correct that line of thinking and explain the concept. Then students get another chance to answer a question to prove mastery.
- When Will I Ever Use This? videos bring the ideas in the When Will I Ever Use This? feature to life in a fun, memorable way.
- New! StatCrunch® applets and activities are available as indicated by the icon in the margin. Data sets will also be available for ease of use in the StatCrunch program. Students gain experience working hands-on with data and visualizations, strengthening their understanding of key concepts.