Features and Benefits
Personalize learning with MyMathlab® for School
MyMathlab® for School is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program designed to work with this text to engage students and improve results. Within its structured environment, students practice what they learn, test their understanding, and pursue a personalized study plan that helps them absorb course material and understand difficult concepts.
- Robust exercise sets and resources in MyMathlab for School help develop skills, conceptual understanding, visualization, and applications.
- A wide range of exercise types, each with immediate feedback—over 3,300 assignable exercises for this text regenerate algorithmically to give students unlimited opportunity for practice and mastery. MyMathlab for School provides helpful feedback when students enter incorrect answers and includes optional learning aids including Help Me Solve This, View an Example, videos, and an eText.
- NEW! Setup & Solve exercises require students to first describe how they will set up and approach the problem. This reinforces conceptual understanding of the process applied in approaching the problem, promotes long term retention of the skill and mirrors what students will be expected to do on a test.
- NEW! Conceptual Question Library exercises provide additional conceptual, application-focused questions for instructors to use on homework or assessments.
- NEW! MathTalk videos connect the math to the real world (particularly business). The videos include assignable exercises to gauge students’ understanding of video content.
- UPDATED! Interactive Figures illustrate key concepts and allow manipulation for use as teaching and learning tools. These are now in HTML format (no plug-in required) and are supported by assignable exercises and tutorial videos.
- The complete eText is available to students through their MyMathlab for School courses for the lifetime of the edition, giving students unlimited access to the eText within any course using that edition of the textbook.
- Personalized learning and just-in-time support helps students of all skill levels study more efficiently.
- UPDATED! Over 275 Example-based videos, 97 of which are new to this edition, are available as learning aids within exercises and for self-study. The Guide to Video-Based Assignments makes it easy to assign videos for homework by showing which MyMathlab for School exercises correspond to each video.
- NEW! Skills for Success Modules help students with the life skills that can make the difference between passing and failing.
- NEW! An Integrated Review MyMathlab for School course contains pre-made quizzes to assess the prerequisite skills needed for each chapter, plus personalized remediation for any gaps in skills that are identified.
- Built-in technology support ensures students understand how to use the tools to do their assignments.
- NEW! Graphing Calculator and Excel Spreadsheet Manuals, specific to this course, are now downloadable from MyMathlab for School.
- NEW! Instructor’s Answers document (download only from MyMathlab for School) provides all answers in one place and augments the downloadable Instructor’s Solutions Manual, which contains all solutions.
- Learning Catalytics™helps instructors generate class discussion, customize lectures, and promote peer-to-peer learning with real-time analytics. As a student response tool, Learning Catalytics uses students’ smartphones, tablets, or laptops to engage them in more interactive tasks and thinking.
- Help your students develop critical thinking skills.
- Monitor responses to find out where your students are struggling.
- Rely on real-time data to adjust your teaching strategy.
- Automatically group students for discussion, teamwork, and peer-to-peer learning.
- NEW! Upload a full PowerPoint® deck for easy creation of slide questions.
- NEW! Team names are no longer case sensitive.
- Accessibility and achievement go hand in hand. MyMathlab for School is compatible with the JAWS screen reader, and enables multiple-choice and free-response problem types to be read and interacted with via keyboard controls and math notation input. MyMathlab for School also works with screen enlargers, including ZoomText, MAGic, and SuperNova. And all MyMathlab for School videos have closed-captioning. More information is available at http://mymathlab.com/accessibility.
About the Book
- The student-oriented presentation enables them to study and learn independently, while showing them how the concepts apply to their future careers.
- ENHANCED! In the 14th edition, the author revised examples to more closely align with exercises sets.
- UPDATED! Relevant and varied applications contain real data and provide a realistic look at how calculus applies to other disciplines and everyday life. Whenever possible, applications are used to motivate the mathematics. The variety of applications is evident in the Index of Applications.
- EXPANDED! Time-tested exercise sets give instructors flexibility when building assignments, with exercises sorted by level and exercises that encourage students to use technology to solve problems. In the 14th Edition, 225 new exercises and 30 worked examples are added, bringing the total to 4,200 exercises and 520 examples.
- Just-in-time support throughout the chapters helps students of all skill levels study more efficiently.
- Prerequisite Skills Diagnostic Test within the text helps students gauge their level of readiness for this course. To complement that, Chapter 0 covers prerequisite content that can be covered all at once, or as discrete topics interspersed throughout the course, for students who need it.
- 350 worked-out examples provide support for students as they work exercises and learn the content. NEW! “Help text” within examples (shown in blue type) helps students understand key algebraic and numerical transitions.
- NEW! “For Review”side margin features remind students of a concept that is needed and direct them back to the section in which it was covered earlier in the text.
- “Now Try” Exercises appear after select examples, mirroring how an instructor might stop in class to ask students to try a problem, allowing them to immediately apply their understanding.
- Check Your Understanding problems appear at the end of each section to prepare students for the exercise sets, encouraging them to reflect on what they’ve learned before applying it further.
- End-of-Chapter study aids help students recall key ideas and focus on the relevance of these concepts. Fundamental Concept Check Exercises and Chapter Review Exercises prepare students for potential exam questions.
- UPDATED! Integrating Technology features within sections allow students to incorporate technology into the learning process, including graphing calculators. In the 14th Edition, graphing calculator screens have been updated to the TI-84 Plus CE format and are now in color.