Mastering® Chemistry from Pearson
Teach your course your way: Your course is unique. So whether you’d like to build your own auto-graded assignments, foster student engagement during class, or give students anytime, anywhere access, Mastering gives you the flexibility to easily create your course to fit your needs.
- With Learning Catalytics, you’ll hear from every student when it matters most. You pose a variety of questions that help students recall ideas, apply concepts, and develop critical-thinking skills. Your students respond using their own smartphones, tablets, or laptops. You can monitor responses with real-time analytics and find out what your students do — and don’t — understand. Then, you can adjust your teaching accordingly, and even facilitate peer-to-peer learning, helping students stay motivated and engaged. Learning Catalytics includes prebuilt questions for every key topic in Chemistry.
- Ready-to-Go Teaching Modules provide organized material for every tough topic in General Chemistry. Created for and by instructors, the modules provide a guide for easy-to-use assignments for before and after class plus in-class activities with clicker questions and questions in Learning Catalytics™. Modules can be easily accessed via Mastering Chemistry.
- New - Ready-to-Go Study Tools are available for students to use on their own, even when their professor doesn’t assign the modules.
- Pearson eText is a simple-to-use, mobile-optimized, personalized reading experience available within Mastering. It allows students to easily highlight, take notes, and review key vocabulary all in one place—even when offline. Seamlessly integrated videos and other rich media engage students and give them access to the help they need, when they need it. Pearson eText is available within Mastering when packaged with a new book; students can also purchase Mastering with Pearson eText online.
Empower each learner: Each student learns at a different pace. Personalized learning, including adaptive tools and wrong-answer feedback, pinpoints the precise areas where each student needs practice and gives all students the support they need — when and where they need it — to be successful.
- The Chemistry Primer helps students remediate their chemistry math skills and prepare for their first college chemistry course.
- Pre-built Assignments get students up to speed at the beginning of the course.
- Math is covered in the context of chemistry, basic chemical literacy, balancing chemical equations, mole theory, and stoichiometry.
- Scaled to students’ needs, remediation is only suggested to students that perform poorly on initial assessment.
- Remediation includes tutorials, wrong-answer specific feedback, video instruction, and stepwise scaffolding to build students’ abilities.
- Dynamic Study Modules help students study effectively—and at their own pace. How? By keeping them motivated and engaged. The assignable modules rely on the latest research in cognitive science, using methods—such as adaptivity, gamification, and intermittent rewards—to stimulate learning and improve retention. Each module poses a series of questions about a course topic or about a topic specific to the text. These question sets adapt to each student’s performance and offer personalized, targeted feedback to help them master key concepts.
- Interactive Simulations cover difficult chemistry concepts. Written by leading authors in simulation development, they foster student understanding of chemistry and clearly illustrate cause-and-effect relationships, such as electrolysis, kinetic molecular theory, stoichiometry, and calorimetry.
Deliver trusted content: We partner with highly respected authors to develop interactive content and course-specific resources that keep students on track and engaged.
- New - 16 Key Concept Videos for a total of 74 videos that combine artwork from the textbook with 2D and 3D animations to create a dynamic on-screen viewing and learning experience. These short videos include narration and brief live-action clips of author Nivaldo Tro explaining every key concept in general chemistry.
- New - 24 new Interactive Worked Examples for a total of 125 add to the digital versions of select worked examples from the text that make Tro’s unique problem-solving strategies interactive. These digital versions instruct students how to break down problems using Tro’s “Sort, Strategize, Solve, and Check” technique. Like the Key Concept Videos, Interactive Worked Examples stop in the middle and force the student to interact by completing a step in the example. The examples also have a follow-up question that is assignable in Mastering Chemistry.
- Updated - Data Interpretation and Analysis Problems help students build skills in analyzing and interpreting data. Now more easily Assignable in Mastering Chemistry, this new category of questions called Data Interpretation and Analysis questions uses real data from real life situations to ask students to analyze, interpret and interact with data, providing practice in reading graphs, digesting tables, and making data-driven decisions.
- New - Learning Objective Tagging maps tutorials, end of chapter problems, sections and figures from the book and other instructional content in Mastering for the general chemistry course. A new view of the content in Mastering clusters content together so instructors can easily select a 'group of problems' and rich media and see how assigned content works together to meet learning objectives.