Features and Benefits
For courses in Beginning Algebra.
Every student can succeed.
Elayn Martin-Gay's firm belief that each student can succeed shapes all of her texts and video resources. The needs of the student inspire her clear, accessible writing, continued pedagogical innovations, and her popular and effective video instruction. She knows that students don't simply need to be taught math skills; they also need soft skills support that teaches them how to be students. Beginning Algebra, 8th Edition continues her focus on student success by tightening the connection between her hallmark math instruction and emphasis on study skills, blending them in a new video series.
Hallmark features of this title:
- Concept Checks help students gauge their grasp of an idea as it is presented and help prevent misconceptions.
- Exercise sets include Guided Applications, Mixed Practice, Concept Extension, and Vocabulary, Readiness & Video Checks.
- A study skills focus helps students make the most of study time, including Section 1.1 Tips for Success in Mathematics.
- End-of-chapter material helps students reinforce concepts in the most teachable moment – when preparing for a test. Getting Ready for the Test exercises help students check their understanding and avoid common errors.
New and updated features of this title:
- Thoroughly examined and revised Exercise Sets feature a special focus on carefully pairing even- and odd-numbered exercises and updating real-life applications to keep content relevant for today's students.
- An expanded section "Mean, Median, Mode, Range and Intro to Statistics" in Appendix D: this section also covers frequency distribution tables and graphs and a formula for finding the position of the median.
- Updated Extension Exercises, Exploration Activities, Conceptual Exercises, and Group Activities are provided in the Key Concept Activity Workbook. This workbook is available through MyMathLab for School.
- The Video Notebook has been updated to reflect updates made to the video lectures. This note-taking guide workbook provides students with the all-important skill of taking and keeping organized notes. It covers all video examples in order and gives prompts with ample space to note definitions and rules.