Features and Benefits
About the Book
Balancing skills and concepts for the developmental student
- A teacherly writing stylewalks students through key points of understanding with the aim of readability for the developmental math student.
- Examples with pointers provide tips from the authors for on-the-spot notes and cautions about common pitfalls.
- Now Try Exercises are included as a parallel margin exercise for each numbered example. These exercises immediately apply and reinforce the concepts and skills presented in corresponding examples.
- Comprehensive exercise setsbalance students’ procedural skills with conceptual understanding to provide the optimal practice experience to master the topics. In this revision, the conceptual exercises in particular have been increased to ensure that students’ understanding goes beyond rote procedures.
- Expanded - Concept Check exercises have been increased in this revision. These exercises facilitate students’ conceptual understanding at the start of exercise sets, and often emphasize new vocabulary.
- A type of Concept Check exercise, What Went Wrong exercises, have more than doubled in this revision. These ask students to determine an error in a worked problem, to ensure that they understand common mistakes and realize why those errors are incorrect. Identifying and correcting a mistake requires a higher level of critical thinking.
- Expanded - Relating Concepts exercises have been increased in the revision. Relating Concepts exercise sets tie the topics together and highlight the relationships among various concepts and skills. They work well for individual or group work. These are assignable in MyMathLab® for School.
- Summary exercises are carefully placed in every chapter to provide students with the all-important mixed review problems they need to master topics. Summaries of solution methods or additional examples are often included.
- Additional exercises types include Extending Skills exercises, applications, matching, and fill-in-the-blank problems, all with the aim of arming students with a solid understanding of skills and concepts.
- End of chapter material offers ample opportunity for review. At the end of every chapter, students will find Key Terms and Symbols, Quick Review summaries, Chapter Review exercises, and the all-important Mixed Review. They can also assess their understanding with a Chapter Test and Cumulative Review to retain what they’ve learned thus far.
- Test Your Word Power exercises in each Chapter Summary help students master mathematical vocabulary, so often a hurdle at this level.
- Chapter Tests include a fully worked out video solution for every exercise in the Chapter Test.
Resources to support any classroom
- Updated - The extensive video programis updated to be as current as possible:
- An updated section lecture program covers every section of the text. The majority of these videos have been re-filmed for the revision for a visually modern presentation sty.
- Additionally, shorter solution clip videos, Chapter Test Prep videos, and Quick Review section summary videos are part of the Lial video program, providing a video type for any need.
- No matter how an instructor wants to use or recommend videos for their course, there’s an option that will work for what they or their students need, and all videos include both English and Spanish closed captioning and can be played on mobile devices.
- A Guided Notebook helps students develop organized notes as they work through the course, establishing a good habit while also emphasizing the importance of writing and keeping mathematical work. The Guided Notebook includes Guided Examples with Now Try exercises, extra practice, and key vocabulary terms with vocab practice, for every section from the text.
Options for underprepared students
- New - To ensure students are caught up on prior skills, every Lial MyMathLab for School course now includes Integrated Review.
- Integrated Review provides embedded and personalized review of prerequisite topics within relevant chapters. Students can check their prerequisite skills, and receive personalized practice on the topics they need to focus on, with study aids like worksheets and videos also available to help.
- Integrated Review assignments - including a Skills Check and personalized homework for the review topics - are premade and available to assign in the Assignment Manager. The review homework includes videos and worksheets as learning aids for relevant exercises to give students remediation right where they need it.
- Integrated Review can support any course where students would benefit from review.
- New - Learning Catalytics questions have been premade for every section of the text, giving instructors an easy starting point to take advantage of this learning tool. Premade questions for each section, noted in blue in the Annotated Instructor’s Edition margins, cover prerequisite skills students should be caught up on before starting the section. Learning Catalytics, available through MyMathLab for School, is an interactive, student response tool that uses students’ smartphones, tablets, or laptops to engage them in more sophisticated tasks and thinking.
- Updated - Study Skills support has been moved up to the front of each text in this revision. These short activities provide helpful information, tips, and strategies on a variety of essential skills, and include ways for students to try out the strategy on their own. Study Skills Reminders throughout the text bring students’ attention to these study skills strategies to ensure that students incorporate these strategies all semester.
- New - Skill Builder assignments in MyMathLab for School offer adaptive practice that is designed to increase students’ ability to complete their assignments. By monitoring student performance on their homework, Skill Builder adapts to each student’s needs and provides just-in-time, in-assignment practice to help them improve their proficiency of key learning objectives.
- New - A Mindset module is available in the course, with growth mindset-focused videos and exercises that encourage students to maintain a positive attitude about learning, value their own ability to grow, and view mistakes as a learning opportunity.
Reach every student with MyMathLab for School
Teach your course your way
- Flexible platform - Your course is unique. Whether you’d like to build your own assignments, structure students’ work with a learning path, or set prerequisites, you have the flexibility to easily create your course to fit your
- Preparedness - Options for addressing student preparedness include Integrated Review content, Learning Catalytics questions, and study skills materials.
Empower each learner
- Personalized learning - Options to personalize learning with MyMathLab for School include personalized homework, where a students’ assignments are personalized based on a quiz or test, and Skill Builder assignments which provide in-assignment remediation.
- Motivation - Engage students using their own devices with new Learning Catalytics questions, available through MyMathLab for School, that check students’ prerequisite skills for each section in a low-stakes engaging way.
Deliver trusted content
- Author-specific MyMathLab for School content - Every exercise in the MyMathLab for School is created based on the Lial texts, ensuring that students have a consistent experience. Other resources in the MyMathLab for School, such as the videos, are created for the Lial program specifically, to infuse the authors’ approach into the course.
- Conceptual understanding - Expanded Relating Concepts and Concept Check exercises in the text are assignable in MyMathLab for School to encourage students to connect ideas and see the bigger picture.