Features and Benefits
Ensure students understand astronomy in an accurate context with the most current content and science
- New - Material from Mission Juno, the first mission to Jupiter; material on the planets and life in the universe based on the Cassini mission to Saturn’s rings and the discovery of an ocean on Enceladus; and material on recently confirmed gravitational waves is integrated into the text.
- Revised - Dark Matter chapter reflects recent discoveries and new constraints in what might be.
- Revised - Life in the Universe Chapter includes exoplanet discoveries, breakthrough initiatives in the search for life in the universe, and the proposed mini-spacecraft fleet to Alpha Centauri.
Build a framework and foundation for the process of science and create a platform for discussion about the impact of our society and current ideas on science
- The Process of Science, a major theme integrated throughout the main text, is reinforced with a set of short answer questions at the end of each chapter, as well as a suite of tutorials available for assignment in Mastering®
- Revised - Chapter-opening quotes reflect diverse individuals, and are part of the Consistent Chapter Structure that focuses on Learning Goals and creates a clear, student-friendly path through the book.
- A cosmic framework establishes a solid foundation of understanding by exploring our place in the universe and delving into how astronomers know what they know, fleshing out these themes throughout the text. This approach motivates students to learn and helps them develop both a personal understanding of astronomy and a lasting appreciation of the process of science.
- A comparative planetology approach helps students understand the similarities and differences between planets and the processes that shape them. Planet-by-planet information combined with this comparative approach gives students a deeper understanding of our solar system, other solar systems, and the prospects for life in the universe.
Reinforce understanding with revised end-of-chapter structure
- Streamlined end-of-chapter contents includes the revision of numerous exercises.
- New - Group work content incorporates material and art from the book with content scaffolded for easy implementation. Content includes clicker questions and PDF worksheets with follow-up exercises in the end-of-chapter material as well as in Mastering Astronomy. Select exercises contain diversity and ethics questions.
- New - Group work activities focus on an “Inclusive Astronomy” group discussion and provide an activity for every chapter. Activities appear in the end-of-chapter material, all written and class tested by the authors, as well as in the Study Area of Mastering Astronomy.
- New - Inclusive Astronomy exercises appear in every chapter under the heading Inclusive Astronomy and emphasize the idea that astronomy belongs to everyone, aiming to successfully engage students in discussions about our current society and its impact on science. A similar set of additional exercises is located in Group Activities in the Study Area of Mastering Astronomy.
Reach every student by pairing this text with Mastering Astronomy
Mastering® is the teaching and learning platform that empowers you to reach every student. By combining trusted author content with digital tools developed to engage students and emulate the office-hour experience, Mastering personalizes learning and improves results for each student. Resources in Mastering Astronomy are written and carefully reviewed by the author team, establishing the same coherent and trusted voice as the book. Learn more about Mastering Astronomy.